The Donna Reed Foundation for the Performing Arts
2019 Iowa Merit Awards for Dramatic Performance
The Donna Reed Foundation for the Performing Arts has recognized merit
and the pursuit of excellence with awards in honor of Iowa actress,
Donna Reed. Backed by the generosity of her home community,
membership, and past awardees nationwide, award recipients have followed
Donna's footsteps in demonstrating their own talent, perserverence, and
passion for the performing arts.
- DRFPA 2019 Iowa Merit Awards for Dramatic Performance help recognize excellence and promising young talent from Iowa interested in pursuing further enrichment and education in the performing arts. The 2019 program focuses on student dramatic performance.
Measures of merit are performance dedication, demonstrable skill, scholastic recommendations, and future goals in the performing arts.
- Open to all Iowa high school students (grades 10-12) in good standing at an accredited high school and with grade point averages of 3.0 or greater who are studying drama and have acted in official school productions for 2018 and/or 2019. Students must be enrolled - or recently graduated - for the 2019 academic year to qualify.
- Each application requires the following submission elements by the final deadline. Any supporting material received after the deadline will disqualify the application as incomplete.
- Fully completed application (all sections) with final signature(s)
- Audition sample (3-5 minutes maximum) with clear audio, video, and lighting quality (see Video Submission in application form for details). The 2019 jury notes will look for demonstrated range of dramatic acting abilities.
- Supplemental for 2019 - It's a Wonderful Life interview segment (addtional optional submission)
- Head shot portrait of student
- One signed letter of recommendation from drama educator
- Application Announcement - January 31, 2019
- Submission Deadline - May 31, 2019
- All materials received at the DRFPA in Denison, IA by 3:00pm CDT
- Merit Award Notification - August 31, 2019
- Variable, up to $1,000, may be awarded by the DRFPA at its discretion. Assessment of merit will include application contents, personal statement, qualities and skill demonstrated in video audition sample, personal recommendation, and future potential.
- Conditions of Awards:
- Incomplete applications or materials received on or after the deadline will be disqualified from
- Submission materials become the property of DRFPA and cannot be returned under any
conditions. Please do not submit irreplaceable originals.
- Awards are paid directly to the student. All tax implications are the responsibilities of the
- Decisions to recognize merit are at the sole discretion of the DRFPA. Jury committee
decisions shall be final.
- Award recipients agree to DRFPA future media publicity in forms of name and likeness
without further compensation or notification.
- Application Form:
- Please download an application form template to begin your submission.
We recommend using the Microsoft Word document template below
for best flexibility in formatting your submission information.
An Adobe PDF is also provided in case that you cannot handle
the Word doc (note that this option will require printing out and
filling out neatly by hand).
Don't forget to sign and date your form (and get a parent or guardian's
signature as well if you are under 18).